Your Stay at the Cairns Early Parenting Centre
What to Bring to Hospital
Prior to your Pre-admission assessment day, you will be required to provide all Admissions paperwork, health insurance information and a GP referral letter to the hospital.
On your day of admission, you will need:
- Medicare card
- Child Health Record (Blue book)
- Proof of Immunisation
What Do I Need To Bring For My Stay Checklist
See our What do I need to bring for my stay checklist
For Parents, we suggest you pack the following items:
- Casual, comfortable day clothes
- Night attire (please note night attire needs to be appropriate)
- Toiletries (including sunscreen)
- Current medications
- Own pillow, if preferred
- Ear phones (to watch TV without sound)
- Leisure materials (book, iPad etc)
- If breastfeeding you will need to provide your own breast expressing equipment and supply lines if required
For Baby, we suggest the following items:
- Clothing – enough for the duration of your stay. Please note laundry facilities are not provided
- Sunscreen and sunhats
- Disposable nappies (no cloth nappies)
- Wipes and nappy bags
- Favourite toys / blankets
- Wraps and bibs
- Bedtime reading books
- Baby bouncer or rocker
- Bottles, brush, teats, formula and infant cup (labelled with your child’s name)
- Sterilising equipment
- Pram or stroller
- Own cot sheets if your baby has eczema or sensitive skin
- Infants four months and older may use an acceptable sleeping bag. All sleeping bags must have a tog rating greater than 1.0 and should be light weight
- Current medications
The Cairns Parenting Centre will provide the following during your stay:
- Towel and bed linen
- Solids for babies if required
Please do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables with you during your stay as the hospital does not accept responsibility for valuables misplaced or stolen.
Dining and Dietary Needs
Meals are provided for both adults and infants and served. They are prepared onsite at the hospital using quality, fresh ingredients. If you have any special dietary requirements, please discuss these with the Pre-admission nurse.
If your infant is formula fed, you are required to bring formula, bottles, teats as well as cleaning and sterilising equipment.
The cost of your stay will depend on your level of private health insurance cover. Cairns Private Hospital will contact you prior to your admission to advise your estimated out of pocket expenses.
The Cairns Early Parenting Centre is a family-inclusive unit and we encourage partners to actively participate in the Early Parenting Centre program. Partners are welcome at all times and can stay overnight for an additional fee.
Other visitors are welcome, however we ask that visitors please check prior to attending the hospital to avoid disruption to meal times, group sessions and sleep routines. All visitors are requested to leave the hospital by 8pm so as not to disrupt other patients.
Upon completion of the program, the multi-disciplinary team who cared for you and your baby meet to review and discuss your progress and goals achieved. Planning for further ongoing support may be necessary and referrals will be provided if required.
Discharge time is 8am.