Calvary Hospital was founded by the Little Company of Mary in 1951. They reluctantly withdrew from the Hospital in 1978 and the Catholic Diocese of Cairns agreed to take responsibility for the complex. On January 1, 1979 the Diocese assumed control of the Hospital. The Sisters of Mercy (Brisbane) provided three nursing and administration nuns from that date until the Little Company of Mary returned to work in partnership with the Diocese in January 1984 until 1997. Unprecedented support from the people of North Queensland for the Building Fund resulted in the construction of the main building of the Hospital which was opened in June 1981 with 130 beds. Development has continued over the years to provide patients with a high standard of accommodation, advanced medical equipment and excellent patient care. On the 16th Sept 2001, Calvary Hospital celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
Calvary Hospital was purchased by Ramsay Health Care on 11 November 2002 and changed it's name to Cairns Private Hospital.
Cairns Private Hospital has recently expanded its capacity to 150 beds.