What is the cost?
The cost of your stay will depend on the level of cover that you have with your health fund. We encourage you to check with your health fund before booking.
In most cases the hospital fee for this service will be covered by your private health insurance, and we will contact you prior to admission to discuss any out of pocket expenses. Those not covered by private health are still eligible to be part of the program via a self-funded rate which can be obtained by contacting the Cairns Early Parenting Centre on 07 4052 8077 / 4052 5232 or email@example.com.
Can I have visitors?
The Cairns Early Parenting Centre is a family-inclusive unit and we encourage partners to actively participate in the program, although we can only accommodate one parent overnight. Partners are welcome at any reasonable time.
We suggest short visits for siblings, and afternoons are usually an ideal time.
We discourage other visitors so as to avoid disruption to the program.
Is the program open to mothers and/or fathers?
The program is available for the primary carer of the infant to stay only (this may be either parent). While partners are not able to stay overnight, we do encourage your partner or other support person to spend time in the Centre to work together to understand the strategies.
How do I book in?
Bookings require a referral from your GP, Paediatrician or Obstetrician. See our ‘Bookings and Referrals’ page for details.
What if my infant or I are sick on the admission date?
Call us soon as possible on 07 4052 8077 / 4052 5232 to request us to reschedule your booking.
How long is the program and when does it run?
The Cairns Early Parenting Centre offers a four-night residential stay program and runs one week of each month from Monday, with discharge on Friday.
What do I need to bring during our stay?
Please pack the following:
- Infant health record book (Red book)
- Health insurance details
- Medicare card
- Proof of immunisation
- Casual comfortable day clothes
- Night attire
- Current medications
- A drink bottle
For your infant:
- Clothing - enough for duration (no laundry facilities)
- Disposable nappies
- Nappy bags/wipes
- Favourite toys/blankets (just a few)
- Current medications
- Bottles, brush, teats, formula and infant cup (if required) - please label with your child’s name
- Sterilising equipment (if required)
- If your infant has eczema or sensitive skin, your own cot sheets
- Bedtime reading books
- Night wear/Child sleeping bag (Infants 4 months and older may use an acceptable sleeping bag. All sleeping bags must have a tog rating greater than 1.0 and should be lightweight)